Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cows-N-Corn

Whether or not I make a good chaperone for field trips depends highly upon your perspective.  I'm pretty sure teachers love me and kids kinda don't.  I still have way too much teacher left in me to let arms hang out the school bus windows.  I also have a good sized control freak streak, so my little group of 5 had to stay together *or else*.  Despite this, I think fun was still had by most at Cows-N-Corn yesterday.
~*~

~*~ 
We started the day with a hayride around the farm- learning all about the Holstein cows and the different things the farmers have to do to keep them fed, watered and healthy.  Don't these ladies look thrilled?
~*~
When the hayride was over, a storm was on the horizon, so we had to get back on the school bus and wait it out.  After many LOUD minutes of waiting (imagine 50+ children singing "Rain, rain go away" at the tops of their lungs), it was decided that we should go ahead and eat lunch on the bus.  The brown bags were distributed and everyone did their best to eat their lunches on their laps. Finally, the storm passed, and we went to our next stop: sheep class.  There we learned all about sheep shearing and yarn making.  I was still recovering from the bus thing, so I didn't take photos during this one.

~*~
 ~*~
Chicken class was next, where this giant cow puppet learned all about chickens with us.  Goldy the buff colored hen was there, and we learned all about how she talks and what she does when she lays her eggs.
~*~
 ~*~
Everyone got to pet Goldy after the lesson.
~*~
 ~*~
Next stop was making "dirt babies".  Each child got a nylon that they filled with grass seed and dirt.  Once the stocking was tied off, they got to decorate their babies with stickers.  Apparently, if we keep the dirt baby watered and give it sunlight, it will sprout hair out of the top of its head.  A homegrown chia pet.
~*~
 ~*~
We each got a miniscule little cup of homemade ice cream (vanilla or chocolate) to enjoy in the shade, then the kids were turned loose to go nuts in the play area.  They climbed all over straw bales and slid down tubes, crawled through tunnels and "rode" the wooden train.
~*~
~*~
The bus ride home was much quieter.  Two of the three left in my group fell asleep.  Sophie and I shared a very sweaty seat and rehashed the best parts of the day.  We both slept VERY well last night!

6 comments:

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

Looks like you both had a fabulous time Jennie!

I love that last photo of Sophie, and Geri said she likes Sophies matching purple socks and tee :o)

Bet you're recovering today though :D

Happy happy weekend lovely lady.
xxOOxx

mary i said...

Great photos!! You did a very good thing.Every child needs to know a chicken,cow etc up close and personal. Many Kudos to you. :)

Runs With Scissors said...

I so want a dirt baby!

<> Um, what did you do with the other two?

Jennie said...

Lol, Karen- I wondered if anyone would catch that! Their moms met us at the farm and took them home from there :)

yomom said...

And a wonderful time was had by one and all!!! Love your narrative and photos! I know you made some happy memories both for yourself as well as Sophie but for other children as well. It's a wonderful opportunity to be able to share your childs adventures and is also appreciated by many a mother who is unable to participate. Knowing your child is having a great adventure, is being closely care for, and is in safe and capable hands is worth a big bunch of gratitude from the parents who weren't able to attend. Kudos to all you volunteer Moms!

Ribbons Undone said...

Boy, I certainly can relate to this post's opening! There is a lot of "teacher" left in me too. I give speeches to kids when they arrive for play dates. I list things they can and cannot do. Issue warnings. Report to their parents when picked up. Hey, it just goes a whole lot smoother this way!