Thursday, September 27, 2012

Thursday's Treasure

~*~
There she is.   My crock pot.  Well, that one in the photo isn't mine, but mine looks just like it.  I love her!
For hubby's birthday dinner last night I made white beans and sundried tomatoes (recipe HERE), along with some crusty bread and spinach/spring mix salad with walnuts, dried cranberries, and bleu cheese crumbles.  Dessert: double chocolate brownies! 
~*~
I digress.  My point is that I was only able to pull off a such a special, healthy and gourmet-ish meal because I had the help of my crock pot.  The beans and tomatoes came out like a thick soup and was absolutely delicious.  I had to substitute parsley for the thyme, but other than that I followed the recipe to a T.  Highly recommend, and I am not even a big fan of sundried tomatoes!  Do you have a favorite crock pot recipe? 


5 comments:

Sandy said...

That dinner sounds delicious! Wish the recipe would have included calorie content, as hubby and I are trying diligently to stay within our calorie range each day. I have been trying recipes from skinnyms.com and I made the Slow Cooker Schnitzel yesterday and it was really delicious.

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

So pleased you had a lovely evening and fantastic meal :)

I love my 'slow cooker' :D
I would love to make another 'Jennie recipe', but what are 'northern beans'? As the title is 'white beans' would they be like cannelini or butter beans?

Have a great evening lovely Jennie.
xxOOxx

Jennie said...

Sandy~ I'm a calorie watcher, too, and I indulged last night. But, I think if you cut down on the amount of cheese added to the beans it would still be tasty and lower in calories.

Donna- I think I used cannelini beans- that's the same as great northern beans, right? I'm sure any white beans would work!

Donna -Little Tiny Stitches said...

MMmmm..yum yum, I'm gonna make it before we go to Belguim :o) xx

Ribbons Undone said...

I have to chuckle...

Several years back my MIL bought me a Crock-Pot. "Ooooh--this is gonna be great," I thought at the time. Everything I made was just so wrong. Sad and pathetic, I know! I wound up selling that crock pot at a yard sale, happily sending her on her merry way!

Several years later, my mother replaced her tried and true Crock Pot with some high end model. I snatched mom's old baby up; I figured it had good karma, because everything my mom makes comes out delicious.

Currently, I have a love/hate relationship with my Crock Pot. I think I'll try your tomato/beans combo and see how it goes. If I like it, the Crock Pot can stay; if I don't, then she goes! I'll keep you posted, Jennie!